08|06|2018Prodeco’s ‘Alianza por lo Social' received recognition from President Juan Manuel Santos
June 8, 2018. President Santos will recognize Grupo Prodeco for the results achieved during the three years that the 'Alianza por lo Social para el Cesar Medio y Ciénaga' program, signed with Social Prosperity, that seeks to contribute to the improvement of the quality of life of the communities in the area of influence of Prodeco’s mining and port operations.
Mark McManus, president of the Prodeco Group, received the "Recognition for the implementation of alliances to coordinate social responsibility efforts of mining companies in Colombia", in an event hosted by the President’s Office, on Friday, June 8, at the Puerta de Oro Events Center, in the city of Barranquilla.
"The private sector has been a very special partner, and now an important part of the social responsibility of companies is being directed to these type of programs (...) and that must continue in order to reduce poverty, decrease inequalities, thus providing opportunities to the people", expressed President Santos during the event in which he presented a balance of the initiatives implemented by Social Prosperity during the last 8 years.
The 'Alianza por lo social' was signed in 2015 with the objective of implementing actions for the comprehensive and sustainable attention of families in the municipalities of La Jagua de Ibirico, El Paso and Becerril, in the department of Cesar; and from Ciénaga, in Magdalena. With a total investment of 4,500 million pesos, this program benefits vulnerable people and those in extreme poverty through the programs established by Prosperidad Social and Grupo Prodeco.
The projects developed through this initiative are:
• A Housing improvement program benefitting 111 families in La Jagua de Ibirico and Becerril focusing on basic sanitation and the reduction of overcrowding.
• An alliance with the Colombian Air Patrol, through which 3,000 people in La Jagua de Ibirico, El Paso and Becerril have been treated with free medical-surgical procedures over a wide variety of concerns.
• A Health Brigade in Ciénaga, in partnership with the Alas para Colombia Foundation, which has attended patients in need of a wide range of medical services.
• An Educational Quality Improvement project, which has the support of the Ministry of Education, and benefits 20,000 children from 10 schools in La Jagua de Ibirico, El Paso and Becerril.
• An alliance with the Batuta Foundation and the Mayor's Office of La Jagua, through which 75 children from Becerril received training in values and artistic skills.
• The development of the Familias en su Tierra program, of Social Prosperity in partnership with the Mayor's Office of Becerril and the Agency for the Renewal of the Territory; a public-private partnership that has contributed to the sustainable development of the United States village, in Becerril, in order to support the reduction of poverty and consolidate peace in the territory. This partnership seeks to benefit approximately 200 families that were heavily affected by the armed conflict.
For Grupo Prodeco, the sustainable development of the communities in the areas where we operate is a priority. Public-private partnerships like this alliance with Social Prosperity are a demonstration of our commitment to this objective. Grupo Prodeco is thankful with President Santos’ recognition of our commitment to Colombia, and in particular, within the areas where we operate in the center of Cesar and Ciénaga.